Almost on a daily basis, I get asked the question, what is a coach? Followed up by and why should I use one? Invariably people think it is to do with sport. Also, I have learnt that being a coach can mean a different thing depending on which coach you are talking to. So I thought that I would write a blog on what I mean when I say I am a coach.
Everyone loves a definition, don’t they! So let’s start with one!
“Coaching is an on-going partnership that helps clients produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives. Through the process of coaching, clients deepen their learning, improve their performance, and enhance their quality of life. Beginning with the clients’ desires, coaching uses reporting, exploring, and a consistent commitment to move the client forward. Coaching accelerates the clients’ progress by providing greater focus and awareness of choice. Coaching concentrates on where clients are today and what they are willing to do to get where they want to be tomorrow.” International Coach Federation, ICF
Coaching is all about helping people get from where they are in their life now to where they want to get to.
If everyone is being honest with themselves, I think we could all do with improving an area or two of our lives. But why don’t people do anything about it?
Everyone knows what to do in life to become more successful but they don’t do what they know.
It is the Coach’s job to help people get what they want in life in by breaking down the barriers that people impose on themselves.
A good analogy to use is that of a Personal Fitness Trainer. When you go to a gym the instructor will ask you what your goals are:
- Lose weight?
- Lose fat?
- Build muscle?
- Build endurance?
- Increase stamina?
They will then see where you are at with regards to your goal.
So for example, if you want to lose body fat they may ask you to take a body fat composition test that will measure your current levels of body fat, you may be asked to take a fitness test, asked what your current eating habits are etc.
After establishing exactly how much you want to lose and over what period of time you want to lose it the trainer will then devise a plan of action of what you must do in order to achieve your fat reduction goals.
Along the way your personal fitness trainer will encourage and motivate you, ask you questions about your motivations and any barriers that you face and will help you.
The end goal of a trainer is to help you achieve your goals a lot quicker and more effectively than if you did it yourself.
A Coach does EXACTLY the same as a Personal Trainer but with areas of your life.
This could include:
Confidence and self-esteem
- Feel good about yourself
- Remove the self-doubt
- Meet new people and feel confident
- Speak in front of groups
- Know what career is for you
- Get a better job
- Perform better in your job or business
- Get a promotion
- Be a better leader
- Start your own business and go it alone
- How to cope when it happens
- How to understand your emotions during the change period
- How to plan for successful change
- Develop listening skills
- Work through problems with your partner
- How to get through tough times
- Build stronger bonds
- How to communicate with anyone
- How to make small talk with strangers
- How to get your point across effectively
- Understanding how Communication works
- Improve your resilence
- Improve your health
- Reduce stress
Dreams and achievements
- Set some compelling goals
- Work out what you want from life
- Provide direction and purpose
- Have more fun
- Have more energy
Getting what you want in life
- Becoming more organised
- Getting rid of barriers and negative thinking
- Manage your time more effectively
- Discover your values in life
- Remove the clutter that bogs you down
- How to stay focused
So what is a Coach?
Rather than actually TELLING someone what to do, as your Coach, I encourage you to find the answers within yourself. By asking challenging and thought-provoking questions, I can help you to identify your behaviour patterns, and unlock your potential. However, there will be times when I also make suggestions and
Coaching is forward-looking and focused on the action you are willing to take to get what you want out of life.
Sometimes you just can’t see the wood for the trees!
You’re so wrapped up in everyday life that life just passes you by!
Well, coaching enables you to see different alternatives and to take a step back and actually examine your life and all of its component parts.
This, in turn, leads to greater:
Clarity – To capture a clear vision of what it is you want to achieve with your life, and why. Get absolutely clear about what you want it to bring you.
Motivation – When you know where you are going and why, you have a purpose to what you do, and the momentum to move forward.
Direction – We will plan the route to your success, very specifically.
Focus – I will keep you focused on your vision and plan, encouraging you to take the actions which will get you there, without being distracted those which won’t.
Perspective – We will constantly challenge what you’re currently doing and how it fits with your vision, and look at others ways to manage yourself for success
Empowerment – You will develop your awareness of your own habits, behaviours, beliefs and values, and how they impact on your life.
As your coach I am . . .
- your own personal trainer to enable you to achieve your goals
- your guide supporting you through change.
- your trainer in communication and life skills.
- your sounding board when making choices.
- your motivation when strong actions are called for.
- your unconditional support when things go wrong.
- your mentor in personal development.
- your co-designer when creating an extraordinary project.
- your beacon during stormy times.
- your wake-up call if you don’t hear your own.
- your vision holder throughout your journey.
- and most importantly, your partner in helping you have all of what matters most to you.
So this is what I do! And I love it. I have been so fortunate to work with some amazing clients and you can read some of their testimonials here.
if you want to read more about coaching then, read my blog about how coaching works
I hope you have found this helpful, if you are interested in having a chat with me about my coaching then email me email@example.com
Let me know what you think by leaving some comments below.